This beautiful Gorham demitasse spoon was made in the Chantilly pattern. It is in excellent condition with some polish marks, which is typical with estate silver.
Gorham silver was founded in 1831 by Jabez Gorham, a master craftsman, in partnership with Henry L. Webster. The firm's chief product was spoons of coin silver. As well as thimbles, combs, jewelry, and other small items. In 1847 Jabez retired and his son, John Gorham, succeeded him as head of the company. It was with John that the company really took off. He introduced mechanized production methods, enlarged the premises in downtown Providence, improved the designs, and expanded the product line. In 1852 Gorham toured many of Europe's silver workshops and manufacturers, speaking with individual specialists, including master craftsmen and toolmakers. He also sought out highly skilled foreign workmen to train his American workers. George Wilkinson, a premier designer and workshop manager, was hired from England. The White House has used Gorham silver services during many administrations. Mary Todd Lincoln purchased an impressive tea and flatware service for use in the White House, while Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant asked Gorham to commemorate the country's one-hundredth anniversary with a spectacular Century Vase that contained over 2,000 ounces of sterling silver. Gorham also designed a number of elaborate trophies for sporting events. These included the Borg-Warner Trophy for the Indianapolis 500, the Davis Cup for tennis and the America's Cup for yachting.
Length: 4 1/8 inches
Marked: Sterling Lion/Anchor/G
Item # 080509AJB06NS